Making Simulation Learning Stick: Debrief with Confidence
To Get the Most from Your Simulation Debrief Be Sure to:
- Identify the debrief as a safe and confidential space. Respectful behavior is always expected.
- Ask these questions to get learners talking (don’t forget to include supplemental role learners and observers):
- Were you happy with the care you provided?
- What did you do well?
- What would you have done differently?
- What is one thing you learned that you didn’t already know?
- What is one thing that could have been done to make this simulation better?
- What is one thing that you will now do differently based on your experience in this simulation?
- Resist the urge to teach – this is the time for learners to reflect and “teach” each other
- Be the one who speaks the least – let the learners lead the discussion.
- Acknowledge both appropriate and inappropriate behaviors and patient care decisions – be honest with learners.